Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Discussion > Alternative Science Subforum

Alternative Science Subforum Everything from novel but testable hypotheses to Pseudoscience

Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #1384463  /  #26
damitall

damitall

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusOmega9 View Post
I can measure micrometers on my ruler.
It's obviously not a CreoRuler, then - if you have Faith, and close one eye and squint, those babies can get you down to picometres.
damitall is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #1384990  /  #27
VoxRat

VoxRat has disabled comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxRat View Post
Hmmm...
it's been three days.
Will the zombie proposition - that Humphreys's helium/zircon story constitutes legitimate evidence in favor of YEC and AND - rise from the dead?

Is this how Dave concedes the argument - with silence?

In any case, we need a ***SUMMARY***.
Who wants to write a *** SUMMARY*** ?
Well, as resurrections go, Dave's attempt yesterday was pretty pathetic.
VoxRat is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #1385003  /  #28
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

Well, I'm off on my boat for 10 days or so. I'll be interested to see whether Dave has made any progress with answering my questions when I get back.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #1385114  /  #29
Steviepinhead

Steviepinhead

You could sail around the world a 100 times, and the answer would still be the same.

Please do not waste a single moment of your time off thinking about Teh Dave, Lizzie!
Steviepinhead is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #1385838  /  #30
Loechelt

Loechelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Quote:
The references that have come up in this discussion are the one I gave (Analytic Chemistry 1999, 71, 2059-2061) and the information in Loechelt's post, here.
so the amounts of material that RATE is relying on are even lower than the certainty of the purity of the spike, according to the data in that post.
That was my interpretation of the data.
Loechelt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #1385963  /  #31
Jet Black
Finding Things Out
Mod: ASS, LSD, Phys Sci

Jet Black has disabled comments

well we know from the pyramid thread that Dave doesn't have a clue when it comes to significant figures, accuracy and statistical relevance.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #1385964  /  #32
Jet Black
Finding Things Out

well we know from the pyramid thread that Dave doesn't have a clue when it comes to significant figures, accuracy and statistical relevance.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #1387421  /  #33
VoxRat

VoxRat has disabled comments

Dave!
Now that you've given up trying to defend the helium in zircons thing, we're all getting impatient for your next best "overwhelming evidence" for a young earth.

What's it going to be?
VoxRat is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #1387537  /  #34
boba123

boba123

Quote:
Dave!
Now that you've given up trying to defend the helium in zircons thing, we're all getting impatient for your next best "overwhelming evidence" for a young earth.

What's it going to be?
ALSO, Vox - WE ARE ALL waiting for Davey Due - to COMMENT some more - 'bout PYRAMID'S !!!!!!!!!!!!
MattShizzle - using the word "MORON" - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...772#post914772-- "Ignore the assholes. Assholes are the price we pay for being able to tell assholes they are assholes." = Febble - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...599#post958599-- "Im a Satanist, Israel is a terrorist state, Hamas is the good guys." = S'hitman - http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...61#post1454961
boba123 is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #1387575  /  #35
Faid
just as bad

Faid

OK, bets are on:

How long do you think dave will be otherwise distracted, before he returns with his usual bluster and posts a smug "SUMMARY" that completely ignores the explanations Febble repeatedly gave?

What do you think the subject of his new thread (that he'll simultaneously start to divert attention) is going to be?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #1388088  /  #36
CrocoduckRex

CrocoduckRex

Does anyone keep a Suppository Repository of Questions Dave Will Surely Return To Answer Sometime?
(2014) D. Hawkins BSc, Elec. Eng. (Cum Laude) U. Texas Arlington.
CrocoduckRex is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #1388126  /  #37
Seven Popes
Boosh.

Seven Popes has disabled comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febble View Post
Dave, would you address my post, please? It isn't very compelling when you post a post full of points, and someone rebuts each one, and you don't even attempt to deal with rebuttals.

Or Gary's, if you prefer. But don't just pretend the rebuttals aren't there. Either present your counter-rebuttal or concede.

I have shown you quite clearly (and you even agree) that background noise will flatten the slope. You claimed that you had presented good reasons for thinking that the flattened slope wasn't due to background noise ("ad nauseam" you said), but it turns out all you'd ever said was that you had information that the data was good, but that you couldn't divulge it.

Well, that's not going to be very persuasive, is it?

Then you kept saying that the Cherniak data didn't go to low enough temperatures. I showed you why this is irrelevant - that the key point about Cherniak's data is that the slopes for each direction are PARALLEL, whereas Reich's are CONVERGENT. You haven't even begun to tackle this, even though I laid it all out in that spreadsheet.

And you still haven't tackled the Wolfe data, bizarrely claiming that the data is "Gary's".

wtf?

No, it isn't, it is Wolfe's and what Gary did was plot it in such a way that even you can see that it falls the straight line extrapolated from the high temperature data.

You need to address these things, not just *sigh* and produce another paper.

Do you really not see that?
qft. Dave, time to stop your habit of running and face these difficult questions, or concede your argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Dave Hawkins View Post
As long as Old Earthers can talk in generalities, you sound convincing. When pressed for detail, you fold.
Absolutely bullshit. "When pressed for detail", we provide it, and you don't bother to read it.Then you misinterpret what is being said, and accuse people of lying to you. What "happens a lot" is that you ignore what people say most of the time, and misinterpret what little you don't ignore because you haven't bothered to read the "detail".
Seven Popes is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #1388142  /  #38
JonF
Accoster of Tard

JonF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocoduckRex View Post
Does anyone keep a Suppository Repository of Questions Dave Will Surely Return To Answer Sometime?
Someone started a site. It was too much work trying to keep up with so many.
JonF is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #1388143  /  #39
JonF
Accoster of Tard

JonF

Quote:
Dave!
Now that you've given up trying to defend the helium in zircons thing...
Oh, Davie never gives up. He just stops.

We all now how he'll remember this.
JonF is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #1396016  /  #40
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

Ok, I'm back. Looks like Dave's been quiet
Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #1396026  /  #41
Jet Black
Finding Things Out

That's because Dave Hawkins is an anagram for Osama Bin Laden.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #1396040  /  #42
Photon
I interfere with myself

Photon

But "Dave Hawkins" IS an anagram of "Knave Was Hid", which pretty much explains the intellectual dishonesty and avoidance of responsibility.

Of course "Dave Hawkins Lies" also anagrams to "His Devil Awakens", so make your own conclusions there.
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #1396044  /  #43
Photon
I interfere with myself

Photon

Ha ha ha

Guess what "Dave Hawkins Pyramid" anagrams to?

"A vapid, shy, dim wanker"
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #1396085  /  #44
Jet Black
Finding Things Out

aah, but mine was more meta - I completely ignored glaring errors and data points to the contrary of my conclusion - so my anagram fits dave's persona far better.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #1396142  /  #45
SomecallmeTim
That's no ordinary rabbit!

SomecallmeTim

Quote:
Ok, I'm back. Looks like Dave's been quiet
He's been peeking in - his last visit was 1 PM yesterday. My guess is he's almost over the latest reboot and will emerge with another YEC thread shortly.

"You can think of Sanford as your mentally retarded cousin" - Dave Hawkins
SomecallmeTim is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #1396238  /  #46
damitall

damitall

It's hard to know what bit of "overwhelming evidence" Dave could relaunch that wouldn't be instantly torpedoed, with loss of all hands.

My guess is that he'll search or wait for something published which is either plain bad science or can be (mis)interpreted as being YEC-supportive, and have a go with that.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #1396246  /  #47
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

What you have to realise is that Dave doesn't come here to convince us of his position, but to convince himself.

It's a hopeless task of course.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #1396287  /  #48
damitall

damitall

Quote:
What you have to realise is that Dave doesn't come here to convince us of his position, but to convince himself.

Do you mean to say that he's not already convinced himself? - that, deep down, he has serious doubts about the validity of YECism?

I'd like to think so, but, crikey! after all these years of unremitting self-pwnage and blank refusals ever to admit losing an argument.....

Are you sure, Febble, that boating is good for you? I suspect you of having acquired a Golden Glow of Wind-in-the-Willows-ism, where everything will turn out right, and Dave will admit the validity of ordinary, everyday, consilient science.

Not so, Moley
Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #1396319  /  #49
Pingu
I did. F. Poste.
GLaDOS

Pingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by damitall View Post
Quote:

Do you mean to say that he's not already convinced himself? - that, deep down, he has serious doubts about the validity of YECism?

I'd like to think so, but, crikey! after all these years of unremitting self-pwnage and blank refusals ever to admit losing an argument.....
Yes, I'm sure he has serious doubts. And it's worse for Dave than for most people because it's not just that he doubts YEC itself, it's that he doubts something else he once believed, which is that the evidence supported YEC. Someone like Todd Wood, or even Humphreys, is OK, because they know that the evidence doesn't support YEC, but they have faith that somewhere, sometime, someone will find evidence that does. But Dave, uniquely AFAIK (well, maybe Hovind too) actually believed that the evidence supported it ("billions of dead things, buried in rock layers, laid down in water, all over the earth"). He's lost that, but keeps desperately hoping that some snag will turn up in the counter-evidence that enables the evidence to somehow support YEC.

Remember at the beginning of this whole Helium-in-Zircons thread, he was all about Humphreys "specific, risky prediction"? Now he's just, well the balance of probability is that Humphreys three data points, below limits of instrument detection, are a bit too much in a line to be noise.

And that was his first pick of a clincher argument for YEC.

No, I don't think he's convinced. He's not that stupid.

Quote:
Are you sure, Febble, that boating is good for you? I suspect you of having acquired a Golden Glow of Wind-in-the-Willows-ism, where everything will turn out right, and Dave will admit the validity of ordinary, everyday, consilient science.

Not so, Moley
Oh, it was wonderful! Pure Wind in the Willows. I'll post some pics. We did 150 miles through five counties. It's amazing where the canals go. Not just old Victorian industrial backwaters, also through glorious remote rural England, may blossom on the hedges, ducklings, swans, herons, oaks coming into leaf, barbecued lamb on the towpath....
Old 05-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #1396355  /  #50
damitall

damitall

I'm a great fan of English canals and boating thereon, and the pubs beside them. Ever tackled the Tardebiggge flight?

A hard day's work!

TalkRational > Discussion > Alternative Science Subforum