Frenemies of TalkRational:
Nontheist Nexus |  Rants'n'Raves |  Secular Cafe |  Council of Ex-Muslims |  The Skeptical Zone |  rationalia |  Rational Skepticism |  Atheists Today | 
TalkRational  

FAQ Rules Staff List Calendar RSS
Go Back   TalkRational > Discussion > Politics and Current Affairs

Politics and Current Affairs For political discussions and mudwrestling

Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #1117040  /  #1
Autonemesis
Flipper Offer

Autonemesis
Default ObamaCare sucks ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WageWorks
Effective January 1, 2011, you will need a doctor's prescription to be reimbursed for Over-the-Counter (OTC) drugs and medicines, such as Claritin, Advil and Robitussin, through your Account. Since the new law requires a prescription for OTC drugs and medicines to be eligible for reimbursement under your Account, you will no longer be able to use your WageWorks® Health Care Card ("Card") to pay for these purchases. Instead, you will be required to submit the receipt showing the prescription number (or if the prescription number is not shown on the receipt, you will need to include your doctor's prescription) through a Pay Me Back claim online at www.wageworks.com or by fax or mail.
This new prescription requirement applies only to OTC drugs and medicines.
Why the FUCK do you need a doctor's prescription for a mother fucking over the counter drug!?!

Stupid ass Democrats!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #1117098  /  #2
Koyaanisqatsi
literally plausibly true

Koyaanisqatsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonemesis View Post
Quote:
Effective January 1, 2011, you will need a doctor's prescription to be reimbursed for Over-the-Counter (OTC) drugs and medicines, such as Claritin, Advil and Robitussin, through your Account. Since the new law requires a prescription for OTC drugs and medicines to be eligible for reimbursement under your Account, you will no longer be able to use your WageWorks® Health Care Card ("Card") to pay for these purchases. Instead, you will be required to submit the receipt showing the prescription number (or if the prescription number is not shown on the receipt, you will need to include your doctor's prescription) through a Pay Me Back claim online at www.wageworks.com or by fax or mail.
Why the FUCK do you need a doctor's prescription for a mother fucking over the counter drug!?!
You won't. You'll need one to be reimbursed for OTC drugs, because if you're taking that many OTC drugs so as to need to be reimbursed by your health care plan, then you'd damn well better be taking them due to a doctor's prescription.

One bottle of Advil should last you at least six months to a year of normal, periodic use. If it doesn't, then you're self-medicating--most likely without the guidance of your doctor--which is a stupid fucking thing to do no matter what the reason. This would prevent such stupidity and ensure that you're not using your employee health benefits for cheap highs like buying crates of OTC cough syrup or the like.
Koyaanisqatsi is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #1117102  /  #3
Autonemesis
Flipper Offer

Autonemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
You'll need one to be reimbursed for OTC drugs, because if you're taking that many OTC drugs so as to need to be reimbursed by your health care plan
I used to be reimbursed. Now I am not. I lost a benefit. Period. All else is apologetics.

By the way, this is my money in my medical spending account. I am not being reimbursed from my plan, I am now being told I cannot use my own money set aside for out of pocket medical expenses, for out of pocket medical expenses.

Last edited by Autonemesis; 09-28-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Autonemesis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #1117130  /  #4
kombucha
reputed to be incomparable

kombucha

There's so much to complain about in the new law and this is the provision that makes you think that it sucks?
kombucha is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #1117131  /  #5
daap-umop-bnp
peekaboo

daap-umop-bnp

Don't you get a tax benefit on contributions?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #1117133  /  #6
daap-umop-bnp
peekaboo

daap-umop-bnp

This will really cut into my side business selling cough medicine to high-schoolers, btw.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #1117141  /  #7
kombucha

kombucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by daap-umop-bnp View Post
Don't you get a tax benefit on contributions?
Yup.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #1117147  /  #8
sanshou
freedom axis
Mod: A&E

sanshou

nice jdg style thread brah
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #1117162  /  #9
Autonemesis
Flipper Offer

Autonemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombucha View Post
There's so much to complain about in the new law and this is the provision that makes you think that it sucks?
It's the first one that has affected me. Plus, it's a really stupid change that doesn't reform anything. It causes more paperwork if you want to claim the same benefits you had before. I now have to go see a doctor, which will produce a claim on my policy for the office visit to get the prescription, then another claim on my medical spending plan for the co-pay for the office visit, then finally the cost of the OTC drug. Either I let the benefit go, or I waste doctor time, my money and plan money to get what I had before.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #1117225  /  #10
Jesus Tap-Dancin' Christ
Done and gone.

Jesus Tap-Dancin' Christ

Quote:
Quote:
It's the first one that has affected me. Plus, it's a really stupid change that doesn't reform anything. It causes more paperwork if you want to claim the same benefits you had before. I now have to go see a doctor, which will produce a claim on my policy for the office visit to get the prescription, then another claim on my medical spending plan for the co-pay for the office visit, then finally the cost of the OTC drug. Either I let the benefit go, or I waste doctor time, my money and plan money to get what I had before.
They're OTC. Jesus Christ, quit goddamn whining you fucking bitch. If you're spending enough on them that you really need the pre-tax dollars to go to them, you've got a much, much, much, much larger problem.

If you are not trolling us, grow a fucking pair. Jesus fucking shit Christ.
Jesus Tap-Dancin' Christ is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #1117231  /  #11
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
Mod: P&CA; The People's Admin

schneibler elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You won't. You'll need one to be reimbursed for OTC drugs
nice jerome thread, autonemesis

3) jerome da gnome
schneibler elf is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #1117233  /  #12
TySixtus
Fucker!
Dungeon Master

TySixtus
Send a message via AIM to TySixtus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Tap-Dancin' Christ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
They're OTC. Jesus Christ, quit goddamn whining you fucking bitch. If you're spending enough on them that you really need the pre-tax dollars to go to them, you've got a much, much, much, much larger problem.

Believe it or not, posts from the transparent Obama shill don't make this thread better.
TySixtus is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #1117234  /  #13
schneibler elf
The People's Moderator
Mod: P&CA; The People's Admin

schneibler elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanshou View Post
nice jdg style thread brah
lol missed this

3) jerome da gnome
schneibler elf is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #1117239  /  #14
Jesus Tap-Dancin' Christ
Done and gone.

Jesus Tap-Dancin' Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TySixtus View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Believe it or not, posts from the transparent Obama shill don't make this thread better.
How was your short bus ride today? Net cost to this guy: if it's more than 50 bucks, there's a major goddamn problem, and he needs to go to the goddamn doctor. If it isn't, he's a whiny bitch.

This is why America goddamn sucks. Whiny, whiny, whiny fucking bitches.
Jesus Tap-Dancin' Christ is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #1117246  /  #15
kombucha

kombucha

Quote:
Plus, it's a really stupid change that doesn't reform anything.
Well, it means that the federal government isn't subsidizing arbitrary OTC drug purchases. I get that you don't like the change, but it's a way of reducing spending without significantly impacting medically necessary utilization.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #1117271  /  #16
ksen
Unsullied
Admin; Master of Coin

ksen

Quote:
Quote:
Well, it means that the federal government isn't subsidizing arbitrary OTC drug purchases. I get that you don't like the change, but it's a way of reducing spending without significantly impacting medically necessary utilization.
How is it reducing spending?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #1117275  /  #17
Jerome
Life is but a bowl of cherries

Jerome

Quote:
If you're spending enough on them that you really need the pre-tax dollars to go to them, you've got a much, much, much, much larger problem.
Please explain why government taxes medical care?

It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong.
-Richard Feynman, Nobel laureate in Physics, 1965
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #1117276  /  #18
kombucha

kombucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksen View Post
Quote:
Quote:
How is it reducing spending?
Sorry, too much to do today and I misspoke - see bolded sentence. The amount isn't material in the context of the health reform bill, but it does mean that people like Autonemesis will contribute fewer pre-tax dollars to FSAs.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #1117279  /  #19
kombucha

kombucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
Quote:
If you're spending enough on them that you really need the pre-tax dollars to go to them, you've got a much, much, much, much larger problem.
Should all medical care be tax-deductible?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #1117280  /  #20
Autonemesis
Flipper Offer

Autonemesis

Quote:

I don't think you understand. I am not the only one who uses a medical savings plan. You really think everyone who has one will just say "Oh, never mind then, I'll just have to grow a pair?"

FUCK NO.

Most of them will go to their doctor for an unnecessary visit to get an unnecessary prescription. The visit will be charged to the plan, the co-pay will be charged to the medical savings account. There are now three charges where there were once just one.

Brilliant.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #1117343  /  #21
gamera
If a doubledecker bus . .

gamera

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think you understand. I am not the only one who uses a medical savings plan. You really think everyone who has one will just say "Oh, never mind then, I'll just have to grow a pair?"

FUCK NO.

Most of them will go to their doctor for an unnecessary visit to get an unnecessary prescription. The visit will be charged to the plan, the co-pay will be charged to the medical savings account. There are now three charges where there were once just one.

Brilliant.
You're going to go to your doctor, to get a prescription, so you can get reimbursment on a $5 bottle of Advil,that will likely last you six months?

Man, you need to reevaluate your priorities.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #1117351  /  #22
Jerome
Life is but a bowl of cherries

Jerome

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
Quote:
Should all medical care be tax-deductible?
Of course. In fact labor should never be taxed.

It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong.
-Richard Feynman, Nobel laureate in Physics, 1965
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 09-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #1117352  /  #23
Autonemesis
Flipper Offer

Autonemesis

No, gamera. Millions of people who used to be able to get their OTC drugs reimbursed will be doing that.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #1117383  /  #24
gamera
If a doubledecker bus . .

gamera

Quote:
No, gamera. Millions of people who used to be able to get their OTC drugs reimbursed will be doing that.
Maybe. I don't know any of them. I'm really more concerned with things like medical caps and preexisting conditions and keeping adult children on my plan. The last two affect me personally, as well as about a dozen people I know.

I think they'll be more pleased about that than worrying about the cost of a bottle of Advil.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #1117387  /  #25
sanshou
freedom axis
Mod: A&E

sanshou

gamera are you a practicing attorney?

TalkRational > Discussion > Politics and Current Affairs

Tags
~sanshou~